THE COURSE ARCHITECTS
The laying out of the course was entrusted to Harry S Colt, one of the foremost architects of the day. There have been a number of alterations to Harry Colt’s original layout e.g in 1936 James Braid was invited to advise on the second hole, following which a number of changes were made to the course, although none, it would appear, to the second! During the war, part of the course was ploughed up for food production, following which Philip Mackenzie Ross was invited to make good the damage, most significantly the scrapping of two holes by the sea. More recently, Donald Steele was engaged to advise on the course architecture, particularly the bunkering.